Re: ADDM advices Oracle's application logic

From: Helma <helma.vinke_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 05:29:28 -0800 (PST)

On 22 jan, 12:58, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Helma wrote:
> > :) Ah, a world with plentora of time and resources. Unfortunately this
> > is my last week here and the machine is in production, hurries to
> > reload and recalculate December's records.
>
> Ah - was afraid of that, would have been too good...
>
> The IO is still
>
> > unpredictable to me. I just added 2 more datafiles, it took about
> > 8minutes each. Yesterday - before taking in production - it took
> > about 54 minutes.
>
> Very odd indeed: 54 vs 8 minutes?!?
>
> And the IO is still at around 33Mb per second. Let's> see what i can find. But thank you for staying with me Frank!
>
> You're welcome. I still try to get a grid on local vs remote
> storage, HW RAID against SW, etc, etc. Just do not have the
> resources to get the hardware, but it would be a nice shoot-out:
> local vs remote (network), h/w vs s/w.
> I think those NAS/SAN boys would be in for a surprise. I think
> CEO's would be in for a surprise; I think computing can be very
> cheap, using standard hardware, and just buy an extra spare.
>
> No need for expensive "fast, reliable" SCSI - it is not faster, or
> more reliable. You seem to be proving it is not faster, Google has
> proven it is not more reliable than (S)ATA.
>
> I'm from the old KISS school :)
> --
>
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up

Yes, throwing hardware at it to make up for the lack of knowledge is indeed a timetested solution.
I'm trying to keep it simple - but not everything is in my control.

H.

The old KISS school? With the tongue of Gene Simmons i presume? ;) Received on Tue Jan 22 2008 - 07:29:28 CST

Original text of this message