Re: ADDM advices Oracle's application logic

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:58:35 +0100

Helma wrote:

> :) Ah, a world with plentora of time and resources. Unfortunately this
> is my last week here and the machine is in production, hurries to
> reload and recalculate December's records.

Ah - was afraid of that, would have been too good...

The IO is still
> unpredictable to me. I just added 2 more datafiles, it took about
> 8minutes each. Yesterday - before taking in production - it took
> about 54 minutes.

Very odd indeed: 54 vs 8 minutes?!?

And the IO is still at around 33Mb per second. Let's
> see what i can find. But thank you for staying with me Frank!

You're welcome. I still try to get a grid on local vs remote storage, HW RAID against SW, etc, etc. Just do not have the resources to get the hardware, but it would be a nice shoot-out: local vs remote (network), h/w vs s/w.
I think those NAS/SAN boys would be in for a surprise. I think CEO's would be in for a surprise; I think computing can be very cheap, using standard hardware, and just buy an extra spare.

No need for expensive "fast, reliable" SCSI - it is not faster, or more reliable. You seem to be proving it is not faster, Google has proven it is not more reliable than (S)ATA.

I'm from the old KISS school :)

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting in UseNet newsgroups is one way to shut me up