Re: Oracle Job Queue

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 06:27:04 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 20, 3:32 pm, "ame..._at_iwc.net" <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 7:42 am, bdbafh <bdb..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 19, 6:07 pm, "ame..._at_iwc.net" <ame..._at_iwc.net> wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
>
> > > Previously we were on Oracle 8i and we had a bunch of jobs in the job
> > > queue, which ran fine.
>
> > > Last week we moved to 10g, and none of the jobs are running. Why is
> > > this? Can someone give me a suggestion? I have the JOB_QUEUE_PROCESS
> > > set to 1 and the JOB_QUEUE_INTERVAL set to 60.
>
> > > Any other thoughts? I'm lost........
>
> > > Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> > > Regards.
>
> > without researching this ... my hunch is that the job coordinator
> > takes up one process and its never able to hand the jobs off to slave
> > processes.
>
> > the dbca specificed value for job_queue_processes in 10g is 10.
> > I'd say alter it to at least 5 and monitor what (background) sessions
> > are spawned as a result.
>
> > -bdbafh
>
> I think you were right. JOB_QUERE_PROCESSES was set to 1. As soon
> as I set it to 2, jobs started to run.
>
> Any idea on why this value has to be greater than 1 for 10g???

Because the manager (process) doesn't actually execute jobs. There's a whole lotta acronyms that support automation in 10g.

"http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10750/ chapter1.htm#sthref266"

Scheduler - Job Processing

The Scheduler enables job processing in a way that models your business requirements. It lets limited computing resources be allocated appropriately among competing jobs, thus aligning job processing with your business needs. In this release, you can group jobs that share common characteristics and behavior into larger entities called job classes. You can prioritize among the classes by controlling the resources allocated to each class. This ensures that your critical jobs have priority and have enough resources to complete. You can also prioritize jobs within a job class. The Scheduler lets you change the prioritization based on a schedule. Because the definition of a critical job can change across time, the Scheduler lets you change the prioritization among your jobs over time."

-bdbafh Received on Mon Jan 21 2008 - 08:27:04 CST

Original text of this message