Re: Processes "Expire" without completing

From: Dereck L. Dietz <dietzdl_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 01:49:09 GMT

> What edition of the operating system is in use?

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Server 5.2 Service Pack 2 (64-bit)

> How much memory has in fact been committed in the OS, as well as what
> is the value for virtual memory for the oracle.exe process?

There is a total of 16,126MB on the server but only 5,908MB for the SGA and only 250MB for PGA. I don't have direct access to the serve so I will have to find the answer for the oracle.exe process from the offsite DBA

> Is this standard or enterprise edition of the Oracle database server
> software?

Enterprise Edition

> Can you configure the Oracle client on the devices used to perform
> loads to use dedicated_server=on? Can you check in v$session that
> those sessions in fact are using a dedicated server?

The sessions I changed to Dedicated were using a dedicated server.

> What is the value for the large_pool_size, as the large pool is
> typically used for supporting shared server processes.

SGA Component                Current Allocation (MB)        Percentage
Shared Pool                        320
5.4%
Buffer Cache                       5136
87%
Large Pool                          224
3.8%
Java Pool                            160
2.7%
Other                                  64
1.1%

> Have you checked udump for trace files, possibly due to ora-4031
> errors?
> SQL> show parameter udump
>
> check for trace files generated there.

I'll have to have the off-site DBA either check the file or send me the file since the server is physically off-site.

> Also, check the listener log for out of memory errors (internal
> restriction exceeded).

Same as for the above - I don't have direct access to the server so can't check the dump files myself without having them sent to me.