Re: Hardware, Database, Business Intelligence

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 11:36:42 +0100

On 18.01.2008 11:53, john_sm wrote:
> Hello all. We are just starting up an IT Services Consulting company, we are
> currently 3 people, our current skills are Oracle DBA & MYSQL, and somewhat
> SQL Server, and we will like to learn from your experience. First is
> regarding the Hardware - what hardware and OS do you currently use and what
> hardware and OS do you think you may use over the next year or so. Do you
> have any favorite hardware vendor, and if so why. Also, among Oracle
> Database, SQL Server Database, Websphere and MYSQL, are you seeing any one
> database doing better than the rest. Also, we would like to get your views,
> if we want to also offer Business Intelligence services, are you seeing any
> one BI solution being a favorite over the other. Thanks for helping us

Two things stroke me as odd about your posting: first, Websphere is not a database - why do you mention it in that list?

Second, you write you are starting up a company and at the same time want to learn (for free) from a community. There seems to be a slight contradiction in there, if you have to built up knowledge that should probably considered an investment similar to hardware you have to buy.

Kind regards

        robert Received on Sat Jan 19 2008 - 04:36:42 CST

Original text of this message