Re: Hardware, Database, Business Intelligence

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:36:38 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 18, 12:29 pm, "mark.g.stewart.nos..._at_gmail.com" <mark.g.stew..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 18, 4:53 am, "john_sm" <u40751_at_uwe> wrote:
>
> > Hello all.  We are just starting up an IT Services Consulting company, we are
> > currently 3 people, our current skills are Oracle DBA & MYSQL, and somewhat
> > SQL Server, and we will like to learn from your experience.  First is
> > regarding the Hardware - what hardware and OS do you currently use and what
> > hardware and OS do you think you may use over the next year or so.  Do you
> > have any favorite hardware vendor, and if so why.  Also, among Oracle
> > Database, SQL Server Database, Websphere and MYSQL, are you seeing any one
> > database doing better than the rest.  Also, we would like to get your views,
> > if we want to also offer Business Intelligence services, are you seeing any
> > one BI solution being a favorite over the other. Thanks for helping us
>
> Oracle is considered more scalable than SQL Server, and more features
> than mySQL. Of course you get what you pay for.  Fortunately, Oracle
> now has some good licensing options for small businesses.
>
> As far as hardware, I'm the DBA for a database running on a Sun server
> that cost $250,000.  And it runs fast. :) But you can also run Oracle
> on a fairly cheap desktop or laptop.  Just depends on how big a
> database and how many users you have; you can certainly set up a test
> database on a PC and run some tests.

get a systems admin on your team. S/He should be able to let you know whether you can fit your applications and database on a $2million server or a $2000 PC.

I'm partner in a company that is essentially a competitor of yours. We have multiple severs splitting the load between mail, database, web server, backup/fall-over and other services.

It all depends on your needs. Time for you to start testing.

   Ed Received on Fri Jan 18 2008 - 12:36:38 CST

Original text of this message