Re: Hardware, Database, Business Intelligence

From: <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:29:13 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 18, 4:53 am, "john_sm" <u40751_at_uwe> wrote:
> Hello all. We are just starting up an IT Services Consulting company, we are
> currently 3 people, our current skills are Oracle DBA & MYSQL, and somewhat
> SQL Server, and we will like to learn from your experience. First is
> regarding the Hardware - what hardware and OS do you currently use and what
> hardware and OS do you think you may use over the next year or so. Do you
> have any favorite hardware vendor, and if so why. Also, among Oracle
> Database, SQL Server Database, Websphere and MYSQL, are you seeing any one
> database doing better than the rest. Also, we would like to get your views,
> if we want to also offer Business Intelligence services, are you seeing any
> one BI solution being a favorite over the other. Thanks for helping us

Oracle is considered more scalable than SQL Server, and more features than mySQL. Of course you get what you pay for. Fortunately, Oracle now has some good licensing options for small businesses.

As far as hardware, I'm the DBA for a database running on a Sun server that cost $250,000. And it runs fast. :) But you can also run Oracle on a fairly cheap desktop or laptop. Just depends on how big a database and how many users you have; you can certainly set up a test database on a PC and run some tests. Received on Fri Jan 18 2008 - 11:29:13 CST

Original text of this message