Re: Windows 2003: 10g doesn't start automatically after reboot

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 03:32:35 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 18, 4:51 am, Wolfram Roesler <w..._at_spam.la> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using 10gR2 on Windows 2003 Server, and my problem is that
> the database doesn't start automatically after a system reboot.
> I get ORA-01034 and ORA-27101 even half an hour after starting
> up the machine. I can start the DB manually with no problem.
>
> The OracleServiceORCL service is set to "automatic" and to
> log in as LocalSystem. services.msc even reports it as
> "started"!
>
> Administrator is a member of the ora_dba group, and is the only
> user on the machine.
>
> ORA_ORCL_AUTOSTART is TRUE in HKLM\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\KEY_OraDb10g_home1.
>
> sqlnet.ora has these:
>
> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
> NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, EZCONNECT)
>
> There's nothing in the alert log: its last entry is "Completed:
> ALTER DATABASE OPEN" but the date is way before the last reboot.
> Nothing was written to the alert log, or any file in the bdump
> or udump directories, since the last reboot.
>
> There's nothing Oracle-specific in the event log.
>
> Does anybody have an idea where else to look?
>
> Thanks for your help
> W. Rösler

What is the specific command that you are using to manually start the database? Does it include the location of the pfile (init.ora)? The spfile or init.ora used by Oracle by default may include a depreciated setting, such as LOG_ARCHIVE_START.

Does it make a difference if you change the line in the SQLNET.ORA file to read:
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES, HOSTNAME) Have you verified that PATH environment variable contains Oracle's bin folder?

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Fri Jan 18 2008 - 05:32:35 CST

Original text of this message