Re: MBRC & db_file_multiblock_read_count

From: Charles Hooper <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 03:51:54 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 17, 5:53 am, "Yannick ROGER" <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on Oracle 10g.
> What is the diffrence between:
> - MBRC setted by dbms_stats.set_system_stats or automaticly with
> and
> - db_file_multiblock_read_count setted in int file?
> Is the scope of these 2 parameters the same?
> Is one override the other?
> Do i have to set the same value for both of them?
> Can you recommend a good doc about this?
> Regards,
> Yannick

Paraphrased from "Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals": Oracle uses MBRC from the SYS.AUX_STATS$ for cost calculations, but the runtime engine tries to use DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT when performing physical reads. On Start up, Oracle determines the operating system's largest physical read size and silently uses that to limit whatever value is set for DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT.

I believe that Jonathan Lewis now recommends not setting (or at least experimenting with not setting) the DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT parameter. See:

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Thu Jan 17 2008 - 05:51:54 CST

Original text of this message