Re: OS authentication question

From: GS <GS_at_GS.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:23:30 GMT

bdbafh wrote:

> On Jan 16, 4:23 pm, GS <G..._at_GS.com> wrote:

>> Database is 9.2.0.8 running on W2K server, clients are windows xp pro
>> running 9i client.
>>
>> We've not used OS authentication here for any databases yet, so this is
>> relatively new to me. To make our SOX compliance easier we are thinking
>> about going to OS authentication for a lot of our app's that run on
>> Oracle databases, since our network passwords are now very stringent and
>> the beancounters are saying the database passwords need to meet the same
>> criteria, but if the users connect with the complex OS password then we
>> are ok.
>>
>> So, on a test database I created a login for myself with the following:
>>
>> create user "ops$my_domain\my_network_username" identified externally;
>> grant connect, create session et. to the new user (me)
>>
>> I enter "sqlplus /nolog" then "connect / @testdb" and I am in with no
>> password, as expected. So far so good, so I take an existing user in the
>> test database, and from EOM I highlight this user and choose create like
>> so he will have the correct roles etc., then add
>> "ops$my_domain\his_domain_username" in the database. We try from his
>> machine to connect via sqlplus the same way I did, and I am getting
>> invalid username/password errors. I double checked the new username I
>> created for him and all looks fine.
>>
>> The servers sqlnet.ora file has SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS), I
>> thought I might need that on the client side too but my machine is
>> SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE) and I can connect ok. I am on my
>> way back over to check his sqlnet.ora file, but is there something else
>> I am missing here?
>>
>> thanks in advance
>
> One could use an LDAP server for authenticating via the operating
> system, such as MS Active Directory.
>
> Assuming that you're running Oracle Standard Edition (or Standard
> Edition One), try running the cost of an upgrade of the existing
> database server licenses to Enterprise Edition with the Advanced
> Networking Option (or is it the Advanced Security Option) at 50K USD
> per cpu.
> If you're running on a quad core, dual cpu box that will run around
> 200K USD plus annual support and maintenance will scale accordingly.
>
> Float a (list) cost of 300K per database server over a 5 year period
> at the bean counters and watch them change their tune.
>
> Unfunded mandates can be fun.
>
> -bdbafh

I was actually thinking about using either Active Directory or OID (which I use for names resolution only right now) for this, but first want to get my head wrapped around the in's & outs of basic OS Authentication first..

We are on Enterprise edition right now, but afaik we don't have the advanced security option licensed. The bean-counters are external and they did the findings and are doing the test audit, and they could care less about cost, additional manpower etc. The more I talk to different DBA's about what they had to do to meet compliance compared to what we have had to do, the more jaded I am towards this whole process. One of their first findings in fact, was that NO ONE should have table level access to any database, period. When my boss pointed out (as nice as he could)that table level access to a database was part of a DBA's job, they came back with a process where I would formally fill out a form each time I went into a database as sys or system that he would approve, then he would come and watch me while I was in as sys or system until I was done, to be repeated again the next time, etc. I kid you not. (they eventually backed off on this after a lengthy string of "colorful metaphors" from my boss)

Anyway, that's OT and a topic by itself, whether we go to OS credential logons or not, it is a good chance for me to get to know all of the in's & out's of this as well as how the OID/AD scenario can be used here.

cheers! Received on Wed Jan 16 2008 - 17:23:30 CST

Original text of this message