Re: 10g listener configuration

From: Arch <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:50:43 -0500

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:54:33 -0800 (PST), bdbafh <> wrote:

>On Jan 16, 3:27 pm, Arch <> wrote:
>> I set up systems for a classroom training environment that include
>> Oracle and a database. I am trying to migrate from 9i to 10g but have
>> run into a major roadblock and would appreciate some help.
>> With 9i, I could edit the listener.ora and tnsnames.ora and substitute
>> localhost for the actual system name. This worked perfectly and
>> permitted cloning of the systems for the classroom.
>> With, however that technique doesn't seem to work. Once the
>> files are changed to localhost and I've restarted the listener, I
>> can't get the database to register with the listener. I get "listener
>> does not currently know of service requested".
>> Using lsnrctl status confirms that the listener is not aware of the
>> instance. There is no error in the log, other than the unknown
>> service.
>> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>have you tried just using the (tcp) loopback address of
>Might you consider to use IPC instead of TCP if only local connections
>are to be supported?
>what OS, btw?

Thanks for the reply.

I tried using, same problem as localhost. Also tried aliasing localhost in the hosts file - didn't help.

I need to use TCP because there are other applications involved.

I should have stated, up front, that the platform is Windows XP.

Unless I can figure out a way around this, I'm going to have to write a program to edit listener.ora and tnsnames.ora each time the system is cloned. Received on Wed Jan 16 2008 - 15:50:43 CST

Original text of this message