Re: can someone please explain what this blog tagging this is all about?

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:46:40 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 17, 5:16 am, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 6:17 am, monouchi1..._at_googlemail.com wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with newsgroup posting etiquette, as this is my first
> > ever post - i've only ever lurked previously - so apologies.
>
> Welcome! In case you missed some finer points while lurking, here's a
> primer for the group:http://www.dbaoracle.net/readme-cdos.htm
>
> Don't be scared off by some of the, er, free speech here. No
> apologies necessary for your clear and sensitive post.
>

> > To take the action of completely withdrawing a website, and even going
> > to the extent of clearing google web caches to prevent any access to
> > articles seems drastic, almost spiteful.
>
> I would disagree with the "almost."

What on Earth would be the point of my removing my material by way of sending a message to the Oracle community, only to leave places like the Wayback Machine and the Google cache as places where you could read it anyway?!

I find the assumption that you and others have a right to this material, and that I am therefore being spiteful by removing it, utterly bizarre.

What I find completely typical and expected, however, is that in your annoyance or upset at having this material removed you (and clearly some others) descend immediately to the depths of making **personal** judgements about me.

It is reasonable for you to say you are annoyed the material has gone. It is reasonable to say you are (or one is) upset at it going. It is not, I think, reasonable to conclude something about **my** personal motivations from **your** (one's) upset or annoyance. But everyone has done it consistently on this issue, so I guess it's to be expected.

Since you feel it's OK to make judgements about me personally on the basis of no actual fact whatsoever, I feel equally justified in offering you some advice I profoundly disagree with, but has a certain pithy ring to it: you didn't pay for it, you don't have any rights to it, get over it and go somewhere else (like the official Oracle documentation, for example).

> Wow, a web self-erasure! Good one, Howard. Mr. Orwell would be proud
> you pled guilty to your crimes.
> "Your name was removed from the registers, every record of your
> existence was denied and then forgotten"

We can certainly hope so. After all, the sooner everyone forgets, the less email I'll have to reply to. Received on Wed Jan 16 2008 - 14:46:40 CST

Original text of this message