Re: can someone please explain what this blog tagging this is all about?

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:33:36 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 17, 5:50 am, hpuxrac <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 9:27 pm, hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> snip
>
> > > I am another one that doesn't use news readers or blog aggregators
> > > apparently. Suits me just fine thanks. So to me anyhow it's not
> > > significant.
>
> > My sincere apologies. I have just read this last sentence again and
> > realised I missed the "to me", which changes the meaning a lot. Please
> > ignore the first paragraph of my earlier response (well, you can
> > ignore all of it if you like, of course, but I suggest you ignore
> > *especially* the first paragraph!).
>
> This isn't like you to not blindly flame me and then to actually read
> my response carefully and then apologize ... wow!
>
> > I still wish people who don't feel themselves affected could
> > nevertheless summon up a smidgen of concern on altruistic and
> > empathetic grounds, though!-
>
> If you go back to my first posting in this thread ( I am the OP in
> this case ) ... I asked for someone to give me some background on what
> happened and why you took your websites offline as a result.
>
> I still don't have much of a clue about who, what and why.
>
> Was there some kind of financial consequence to you ( since you
> apparently pay for your websites I guess I thought pythian was hosting
> for free ) because of excess traffic generated to your domains?
>
> If you don't care to explain that's fine but don't guess that everyone
> is out to get you or isn't potentially sympathetic.

Come on. I've explained very clearly the actions of others which caused this. I'm not naming specific names (apart from Jake who started it all and Tim Hall who made a special point of telling people to tag away because "it's fun"), for obvious reasons: there are too many of them.

I've explained why I found those actions unacceptable. I've explained why my decision to remove the site arises directly from me finding those actions unnaceptable. I have also explained the financial implications very, very clearly.

If you don't care to read any of that, that's fine. If you don't agree with my reasoning, that's fine. But please don't try to suggest I've not presented all the facts and thought processes at all!

Meanwhile, what I don't think people really understand is that I don't **care** if people are sympathetic or not or out to get me or not. I withdraw from the community and what the community then thinks about me is a matter of complete indifference. Received on Wed Jan 16 2008 - 14:33:36 CST

Original text of this message