Re: ADDM advices Oracle's application logic

From: Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:31:47 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 16, 5:30 pm, Arun Mathur <themath..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 9:37 am, Helma <helma.vi..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello *,
>
> > I'm new to performance tuning and linux , so any pointers to speed up
> > my investigation is much appreciated.
>
> > I've just installed a 10.2.0.3 on a 64bit Linux AS. I created a few
> > TBS, with datafiles of 16GB each. The first file took about 3 minutes,
> > the last file took about 1 hour to create. My experience on other
> > machines is just a few minutes.
> > I'm looking at the ADDM advice:
>
> > "Individual database segments responsible for significant user I/O
> > wait were found."
>
> > Investigate application logic involving I/O on database object with id
> > 440.
> > Database ObjectSYS.I_RLS2
>
> > where I_RLS2 is:
>
> > Name I_RLS2
> > Schema SYS
> > Tablespace SYSTEM
> > Index Type Normal
> > Status VALID
>
> > Has anyone an idea what happened or where to look? What other elements
> > are needed for a proper diagnoses? Again, i am alone on the machine,
> > not other processes, users etc. Physical writing was the paramount i/o
> > activity, as expected.
>
> > Thanks!
>
> Hello,
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) What commands did you issue when creating the tablespace(s) and
> associated datafile(s)?
> 2) Do the datafiles need to be 16G in size due to given requirements?
>
> Regards,
> Arun

I'm just curious to know also if your datafile are on a filesystem, a raw device or ASM.
On my linux installations i use ASM and i've never got a similar issue: i've noticed that creation
of the datafiles writes the entire space occupied by datafiles monitoring disks usage with iostat.
However the question seems to be that you have created tablespace dictionary managed, but it
is not the default so i think it not probable.

Regards,

 Cristian Cudizio
http://oracledb.wordpress.com
http://cristiancudizio.wordpress.com Received on Wed Jan 16 2008 - 11:31:47 CST