Re: export data from 10g, import into 9i

From: steph <stephan0h_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 01:36:11 -0800 (PST)

On 15 Jan., 22:13, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 1:42 pm, joel garry <joel-ga..._at_home.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 15, 7:56 am, steph <stepha..._at_yahoo.de> wrote:
>
> > > Hi Group,
>
> > > I need to import a schema from a 10.2 database into a 9.2. database.
> > > What's the best way to do this? Exporting with 9i's exp and importing
> > > with 9i's imp was my first guess - but i'm not completely sure if
> > > exporting data from a 10g database with a 9i tool is a good idea. Any
> > > hints would be appreciated!
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Stephan
>
> > Well, you've managed to hit a bit of the documentation that is
> > obviously not completely updated for 10.2, but the basic idea is
> > correct: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/exp_im...
>
> > Your guess is good, but of course if you've used any 10-specific
> > objects, they won't come across.
>
> > More detail is found in metalink Note:132904.1, including things like
> > minimum patch levels necessary. Details like that is why we ask you
> > post such things. In particular, you don't want to use different
> > patch sets on the 9 exp, imp and db, an easy mistake to make if client
> > and server are installed on different machines. You don't have to run
> > anything like catexp, but you do need to go through sql*net (as
> > opposed to a local connection) for accessing 10 from 9.
>
> > jg
> > --
> > @home.com is bogus.
> > "You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3." - Paul F.
> > Crickmore (test pilot)
>
> Steph, whenever it was necessary to exp/imp from a higher version into
> a lower version the process has been to use the lower version exp
> utility. With some past versions of Oracle you had to run an Oracle
> provided export script to create the necessary lower version export
> utility dictionary views in the source database for this to work. You
> could not export tables that used new features that the target
> database did not understand such as a version 8 table that used a new
> LOB datatype into version 7.3 database that did not know what a LOB
> was.
>
> See the metalink article Joel suggested and check your source database
> for use of unsupported features.
>
> An altername is to extract the data into delimited text files via
> SQLPlus and to use sqlldr to reload the data after precreating the
> target tables.
>
> Also database links, CTAS, Insert/select is another approach depending
> on how much data you have, how many tables, etc ...
>
> But exp/imp will probably work just fine and is likely to be easier.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Thanks all for the valuable information, that help s a lot. Actuallly we've tried already with exp/imp of 9i, but unfortunately primary keys were lost in the process, as it seems. But maybe the provided metalinkarticle  will give me a clue to this ...

regards,
stephan Received on Wed Jan 16 2008 - 03:36:11 CST

Original text of this message