Re: export data from 10g, import into 9i

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:42:44 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 15, 7:56 am, steph <stepha..._at_yahoo.de> wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I need to import a schema from a 10.2 database into a 9.2. database.
> What's the best way to do this? Exporting with 9i's exp and importing
> with 9i's imp was my first guess - but i'm not completely sure if
> exporting data from a 10g database with a 9i tool is a good idea. Any
> hints would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Stephan

Well, you've managed to hit a bit of the documentation that is obviously not completely updated for 10.2, but the basic idea is correct: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/exp_imp.htm#i1013164

Your guess is good, but of course if you've used any 10-specific objects, they won't come across.

More detail is found in metalink Note:132904.1, including things like minimum patch levels necessary. Details like that is why we ask you post such things. In particular, you don't want to use different patch sets on the 9 exp, imp and db, an easy mistake to make if client and server are installed on different machines. You don't have to run anything like catexp, but you do need to go through sql*net (as opposed to a local connection) for accessing 10 from 9.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3." - Paul F.