Re: Fixing ORA-03237

From: <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 05:16:25 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 15, 12:53 am, Boogha <> wrote:
> Has anyone come across the error ORA-03237. I am trying to upgrade an
> application and while it is modifying the schema by adding a new
> column of type NCLOB it stops and throws this error:
> ORA-03237: Initial Extent of specified size cannot be allocated to
> tablespace (TABLESPACE_NAME)
> How can I fix this?

Normally you add more space to the tablespace in question. And it may not be a lack of space, per se, causing the problem, but a lack of a suitably sized contiguous location of free space. I'm presuming this tablespace is locally managed; if not (meaning a dictionary managed tablespace) then you might solve this by coalescing the existing free space and trying again:

alter tablespace <tablespacename> coalesce;

Should that fail then you do have a lack of contiguous free space in the tablespace and it needs to be enlarged.

David Fitzjarell Received on Tue Jan 15 2008 - 07:16:25 CST

Original text of this message