Re: Oracle 11g placement of the alert log

From: <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:19:57 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 13, 12:20 pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:47:02 +0000, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> >> This is untrue. One can simply change background_dump_dest and the alert
> >> log will go back to where it was.
> > Those parametes are, of course, deprecated in favor of DIAGNOSTIC_DEST
> > but are still fully functional.
> If they are now that would be news to me because in Beta 4, 5, and 6
> they were ignored.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users

I hate this sort of silly guesswork and innuendo. You leave anyone who happens to be passing without any firm foundation of actual *fact*.

The facts of the matter are evident in the official documentation:

"This parameter is ignored by the new diagnosability infrastructure introduced in Oracle Database 11g Release 1, which places trace and core files in a location controlled by the DIAGNOSTIC_DEST initialization parameter."

( initparams019.htm#REFRN10008)

Or anyone could have done this simple test:

SQL> show parameter background_dump_dest

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ ----------- ------------
background_dump_dest                 string      c:\app\hjr

SQL> alter system set background_dump_dest='C:\app';

SQL> alter system switch logfile;

System altered.

SQL> host dir c:\app\
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is D070-3646

 Directory of c:\app

13/01/2008  01:23 PM    <DIR>          .
13/01/2008  01:23 PM    <DIR>          ..
13/01/2008  01:36 PM    <DIR>          hjr
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               3 Dir(s)  34,271,100,928 bytes free

...and the lack of any alert log in the c:\app directory would definitely indicate that a background_dump_dest setting of c:\app is being ignored.

A test always beats guesswork based on betas any day. A citation form the official doco helps, too. Received on Sun Jan 13 2008 - 00:19:57 CST

Original text of this message