Re: Oracle 11g placement of the alert log

From: Charles Hooper <hooperc2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:22:58 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 12, 6:50 am, Arch <send..._at_spam.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:39:17 -0800 (PST), zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >On Jan 11, 9:51 pm, "Ana C. Dent" <anaced..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> JAW <jwill..._at_aglresources.com> wrote in news:38f15211-7e7b-4afd-9f91-
> >> a30a92561..._at_l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

> >> You could always use softlinks
> >Is there a way to put symbolic links on Windows OS?
>
> No.  But Windows has pretty screens.

Yes, Windows supports symbolic links.

From the "Windows Vista Resource Kit" book, page 447: "Junction points are super-hidden (the system and hidden attributes are set) and can be displayed using the dir /AL command at the command prompt, where the L option displays all reparse points (junction points or symbolic links) within the current directory."

From the "Windows Vista Resource Kit" book, page 450: "Note: The junction from Users\All Users to ProgramDara shown in Table 14-4 is actually a symbolic link and not a junction point. Symbolic links (symlinks) are new to Windows Vista and not supported on previous versions of Microsoft Windows. Symlinks, junction points and hard links can be created using the mklink command."

From the "Windows Vista Resource Kit" book, page 536: "Windows Vista includes symbolic links. Symbolic links act like shortcuts, but they provide a transparent link to the target file at the file-system level, rather than within Explorer... A symbolic link will actually trick applications into thinking they are directly accessing the target file."

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/5c7ffdb9-7066-4bdf-bc7d-eded8db2ce821033.mspx?mfr=true "A symbolic link is a file system object that points to another file system object. The object being pointed to is called the destination object. Symbolic links are transparent to users. The links appear as normal files or directories, and they can be used by the user or application in exactly the same manner. Symbolic links have been added to Windows ServerŪ 2008 to aid in migration and application compatibility with UNIX operating systems."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Junction.mspx "Windows 2000 and higher supports directory symbolic links, where a directory serves as a symbolic link to another directory on the computer. For example, if the directory D:\SYMLINK specified C:\WINNT \SYSTEM32 as its target, then an application accessing D:\SYMLINK \DRIVERS would in reality be accessing C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS. Directory symbolic links are known as NTFS junctions in Windows."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/02/VistaKernel/ "The Windows 2000 version of NTFS introduced symbolic directory links, called directory junctions, which allow you to create a directory that points at a different directory, but until the Windows Vista version, NTFS has only supported hard links for files."

Yes, Windows supports symbolic links. It may in part depend on how you define a symbolic link to determine what version first supported symbolic links. There are a couple articles on Microsoft's site that describe creating symbolic links on Windows 95 and 98, but those are likely something a bit different.

Charles Hooper
IT Manager/Oracle DBA
K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc. Received on Sat Jan 12 2008 - 07:22:58 CST

Original text of this message