j2ee oracle authentication?

From: dave <dave8421_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:18:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

We have several users with oracle accounts, and I want to authenticate them based on their oracle username and password. I've setup a web form to get the information and temporarily just try to connect to the database with jdbc (i.e.
DriverManager.getConnection( connectionstring, username, password) ).

I'm sure there is a better way, is there something I could do just to check that there username / password match the oracle account?

I looked at setting up a realm but we don't need any roles configured in the j2ee server/container. Once the user authenticates, I am using a connection pool with a special account just for the web application (so i'm not connecting to database with the users account), the only thing I'm saving is the username in their session. Received on Thu Jan 10 2008 - 14:18:49 CST

Original text of this message