Re: Experiences with extensibility

From: Mark D Powell <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:36:07 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 10, 12:58 pm, DA Morgan <> wrote:
> Eric Davies wrote:
> > (this message was originally posted in, but
> > it was suggested that might be a better
> > fit).
> Didn't like the answer you got eh.
> Posting here will just get you more of the same.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> University of Washington
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users

1 - The only convenient to use extensibility features are those native to the database or which are created and treated in the database just like those objects provided by the database.

2 - I am not aware of any useful extensibility features available in any other database that Oracle does not have or does not need.

3 - We choose Oracle because it was technically superior to all its competitors based on availability of features, which at the time was table enforcable constraints available in the database, table level triggers, and user defined functions. Later Oracle added database level triggers, virtual private databases, analytic queries, and numerous other features that SQL Server is just now adding to its database.

Oracle also provides the most open view into its inner workings of any database on the market greatly aiding serious tunning efforts.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jan 10 2008 - 12:36:07 CST

Original text of this message