Re: hots/cold backup script for 9i on linux

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 05:39:12 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 10, 7:17 am, vitalis..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 10, 3:07 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 10, 5:01 am, ton de w <ton_de_win..._at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
>
> > > Anyone care to reccommend  a backup script for a cold backup (db shut
> > > down) for 9i on Redhat?
> > > Also a script for a hot backup (archivemode on).
>
> > > TIA
>
> > > Ton
>
> > I'd recommend strongly you familiarize yourself with RMAN for the hot
> > backup strategy.
>
> > As for your cold backup you could:
>
> > alter database backup controlfile to trace;
>
> > then edit that script to provide the file names to back up.  Add to
> > that list your controlfiles from the init.ora and write your own cold
> > backup script.  Since you should be making a backup of your
> > controlfile every time you add a new datafile you'll have a current
> > file list to base a cold backup script upon.
>
> > Others may have differing opinions.
>
> Sure. ;o)
> Why not use RMAN for the cold backup as well? (And not avoid this
> error-prone hassle with the controlfile trace?)- Hide quoted text -

I presumed the OP would, upon familarising himself/herself with RMAN, discover this and thus use RMAN as a better alternative for both backup strategies. Especially when editing a controlfile trace.might be daunting to someone with his/her lack of experience.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Jan 10 2008 - 07:39:12 CST

Original text of this message