Clients connecting to non-vip address

From: <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 00:36:36 -0800 (PST)

I have noticed that client applications running on BEA WebLogic Server as well as Sun Application Server are allowed to create connection pools to the non-vip address on the Oracle 10g RAC. The jdbc url both application servers use is:

jdbc:oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(HOST=xxx.xx.xx. 201)(PROTOCOL=TCP)

In the listeners.ora file:

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mydb-vip)(PORT = 1521)(IP = FIRST))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = xxx.xx.xx.200)(PORT = 1521)

However, even though I ONLY specify the vip address in my jdbc url, I see established connections from the application server to the non-vip address (xxx.xx.xx.200). Since I see the same phenomena from two different COTS application servers, I am thinking I need to tweak my Oracle RAC configuration. I tried commenting out the non-vip address in the listeners.ora, and I wasn't able to connect to the db at all. Is anyone out there versed in manual Oracle RAC configuration that will prevent clients from connecting to the non-vip address. Seems the Oracle connection process is spawning connections to the non-vip address upon client requests. The /etc/hosts and dns on all machines are resolving properly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Received on Thu Jan 10 2008 - 02:36:36 CST

Original text of this message