Re: Taking backups of Archive logs

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:17:48 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 9, 3:34 am, mamu <maadhuuranja..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks much for your advice. I read some documentation and have taken
> a couple of backups using Rman.
>
> The database can grow upto 20GB . Yes we have a standby physical
> database as well.
>
> Joel, Do you backup using Rman ? I really like the idea of taking
> multiple backups and then do you delete the current archive logs so
> that space is freed up ?
>
> thanks.

Well, my situation is probably different from yours, not least because some of it comes from historical reasons and, um, management idiosyncracies. (Until recently I was an independent, and had to be accomodating more than right.)

But yes, I run RMAN, and strongly suggest that anyone using Oracle do, unless they have some overiding reason not to. The two that immediately come to mind are data warehouses, where the feeds are backed up and so can be rerun, and certain split-mirror configurations. Someone experienced and knowledgeable needs to be around for a non-RMAN or an RMAN solution, but even more so for the non-RMAN.

I'm using cron to ship logs to the standby and delete them after so many days (depending on how much room I have), but in general I'd recommend using as much of Oracle to do these things as possible. Dealing with a standby means additional limitations.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2008/01/must-have-feature-for-all-databases.html