Re: Taking backups of Archive logs

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:49:52 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 8, 1:02 pm, mamu <maadhuuranja..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 10:25 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:

> > > What, exactly, are you including in this backup?  Where are you
> > > storing it on the server?  How large is the filesystem for the
> > > archivelogs?  How may archivelogs do you generate in an hour?  How
> > > large, on average, are your archivelogs?  What do you mean by 'Just
> > > doing an 'rm' doesn't seem to  help.'?  Which release of Oracle are
> > > you using?  How  large is your database?
>
> > > You need to provide much more information than  you have before anyone
> > > can provide any suggestions.
>
> > > David Fitzjarrell
>
> > The Oracle release which David asked for is important as is how you
> > currently perform your backups such as do you perform rman or manual
> > backups, are the archive logs included in rman backup or not, and have
> > the archived logs been backed up to tape?
>
> > You need to describe your current environment and process enough so
> > that the advice given is appropriate for your environment.
>
> > HTH -- Mark D Powell --
>
> Thanks David ,Mark. The following is the required information :
>
> Oracle version : Oracle 10g. ( 10.1.2.)
> On the server , I am storing it on a separate partition .
> Size of the partition - 20 gb
> Size of Archivelogs - It fills up around 1gb per day.
> I am not sure how big the database is , but it has around 400 tables.
>
> What do you suggest as the backup strategy ? Please advice. How do I
> take backup of these archive logs ?
>
> thanks

Are you using rman for your database backups? If so then you should be using rman to backup the archive logs ... are you even doing database backups?

I would recommend buying and reading several times Robert Freemans book "Oracle Database 10g Rman backup and recovery" ... or spend a very long time reading the free oracle documentation on rman available from http://tahiti.oracle.com ...

Get a test system and play with that system so you can learn and experiment without damaging an important system. Received on Tue Jan 08 2008 - 12:49:52 CST

Original text of this message