Re: Taking backups of Archive logs

From: mamu <maadhuuranjan.m_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:02:15 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 8, 10:25 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 9:06 am, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 8, 12:36 am, maadhuuranja..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Hello all,
>
> > > I am new to taking backups in Oracle. Say if I create a database with
> > > the Archived log space as 10GB . Now if I have a daily backup , I see
> > > that it eats up quite a lot of space. Now how do I move some of the
> > > archived logs or delete them ? Do I have to necessarily use RMAN for
> > > the same ? Just doing an 'rm' doesn't seem to help.
>
> > > thanks.
>
> > > Madhu M
>
> > What, exactly, are you including in this backup? Where are you
> > storing it on the server? How large is the filesystem for the
> > archivelogs? How may archivelogs do you generate in an hour? How
> > large, on average, are your archivelogs? What do you mean by 'Just
> > doing an 'rm' doesn't seem to help.'? Which release of Oracle are
> > you using? How large is your database?
>
> > You need to provide much more information than you have before anyone
> > can provide any suggestions.
>
> > David Fitzjarrell
>
> The Oracle release which David asked for is important as is how you
> currently perform your backups such as do you perform rman or manual
> backups, are the archive logs included in rman backup or not, and have
> the archived logs been backed up to tape?
>
> You need to describe your current environment and process enough so
> that the advice given is appropriate for your environment.
>
> HTH -- Mark D Powell --

Thanks David ,Mark. The following is the required information :

Oracle version : Oracle 10g. ( 10.1.2.)
On the server , I am storing it on a separate partition . Size of the partition - 20 gb
Size of Archivelogs - It fills up around 1gb per day. I am not sure how big the database is , but it has around 400 tables.

What do you suggest as the backup strategy ? Please advice. How do I take backup of these archive logs ?

thanks. Received on Tue Jan 08 2008 - 12:02:15 CST

Original text of this message