Re: warm standby 9i on Redhat

From: ton de w <ton_de_winter_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 01:37:25 -0800 (PST)

On 8 Jan, 04:51, Michael Austin <maus..._at_firstdbasource.com> wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > On Jan 7, 5:44 pm, ton de w <ton_de_win..._at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Hello,
>
> >> Have recently installed 9i on RedHat 3.8 on Intel following a recipe
> >> here:http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml#RunningOracleInstall...
>
> >> Then created a database and attached a uni directional gateway from an
> >> application which is now populating 4 or 5 tables with data. So far so
> >> good.
>
> >> Apparently some time not so soon, April, maybe this will find a home
> >> on a big Oracle cluster on Solaris.
>
> >> However I am to implement some sort of redundancy er next week.
> >> Warm standby would be  OK - not quite sure what warm standby might be
> >> in this context. But the gateway writer can only write to one db.
>
> >> Can someone please suggest an option that might help me out?
>
> >> TIA
>
> >> Ton
>
> > You said "maybe this will find a home on a big Oracle cluster" ...
> > does that mean there are oracle dba's in that part of the company?
>
> > If so then I would suggest talking to those people and developing a
> > plan.
>
> > There's a ton of oracle doc on high availability and redundancy ...
> > yes data guard and standby databases are possible.  Are you familiar
> > with the oracle documentation in this area?
>
> and are you aware that 9i premier support ended last August 1? There
> supposedly will be few more - if any - security patches for 8i and 9i
> going forward.   The first year of Extended support was granted for free
> for 9i - but only until Aug 1 of this year (2008). Extended support will
> cost you ~20-100% more per CPU to keep it "under support", but that buys
> you very little - especially if you are not a major corporation paying
> millions to Oracle every year in licensing and support cost...
>
> Do you want to continue to bet your business on unsupported software?
> Yes, we do it all the time, but it is like playing Russian Roulette with
> a .45cal or 9mm.  There is a bullet in the chamber and you will get shot.- Hide quoted text -

Good point - no was not aware - but good to be aware (thanks) - should be on a 10g cluster by August.
Only had RedHat 3.8 server available - and 9i is latest available on that platform.

This is a very helpful user group I Think!, Received on Tue Jan 08 2008 - 03:37:25 CST

Original text of this message