Re: warm standby 9i on Redhat

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 03:51:47 GMT

hpuxrac wrote:

> On Jan 7, 5:44 pm, ton de w <ton_de_win..._at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Have recently installed 9i on RedHat 3.8 on Intel following a recipe
>> here:http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml#RunningOracleInstall...
>>
>> Then created a database and attached a uni directional gateway from an
>> application which is now populating 4 or 5 tables with data. So far so
>> good.
>>
>> Apparently some time not so soon, April, maybe this will find a home
>> on a big Oracle cluster on Solaris.
>>
>> However I am to implement some sort of redundancy er next week.
>> Warm standby would be OK - not quite sure what warm standby might be
>> in this context. But the gateway writer can only write to one db.
>>
>> Can someone please suggest an option that might help me out?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ton
>
> You said "maybe this will find a home on a big Oracle cluster" ...
> does that mean there are oracle dba's in that part of the company?
>
> If so then I would suggest talking to those people and developing a
> plan.
>
> There's a ton of oracle doc on high availability and redundancy ...
> yes data guard and standby databases are possible.  Are you familiar
> with the oracle documentation in this area?

and are you aware that 9i premier support ended last August 1? There supposedly will be few more - if any - security patches for 8i and 9i going forward. The first year of Extended support was granted for free for 9i - but only until Aug 1 of this year (2008). Extended support will cost you ~20-100% more per CPU to keep it "under support", but that buys you very little - especially if you are not a major corporation paying millions to Oracle every year in licensing and support cost...

Do you want to continue to bet your business on unsupported software? Yes, we do it all the time, but it is like playing Russian Roulette with a .45cal or 9mm. There is a bullet in the chamber and you will get shot. Received on Mon Jan 07 2008 - 21:51:47 CST

Original text of this message