Re: steps to follow to develop applications with target db on RAC

From: <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:25:02 +0100

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:31:17 +0100, "KCS" <> wrote:

>Developers asked us a simple checklist to follow to build good applications
>where the target database is a 10g RAC (2 or 3 nodes).
>I remember a pair of links on this forum about this argument, but we do not
>succeed in finding them.
>Would it be possible for you to give us some information, about developing
>application for ?
>Mastino (KCS Srl)

RAC is ill-suited for non-OLTP applications (according to the 10g RAC course).
RAC is also very sensitive to unscalable applications. If the application is unscalable in a single instance situation, results in a RAC configuration will be even worse. (Again according to the aforementioned course).
The best you can do is build a scalable app for a single instance.

The one thing you might take into account, is splitting up your application in several services (modules). You can decide to run a service on 1 node or multiple nodes, have it fail-over, or have it crash etc.

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA