[slighly OT] how to increase hardnofiles & softnofiles on SUSE SLES9

From: codadilupo <codadilupo_at_operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:09:16 +0100

A few months ago I set up a SUSE SLES9 system with Oracle Application Server 10.1.2.0.2. I remember I had to play with hardnofiles and softnofiles but I'm not able to remember what have I done exactly.

Now I'm trying to set up a second system hydentical to the first but I'm not able to pass the prerequisite checks, I always get these messages:

Checking for hardnofiles=65536; found hardnofiles=1024. Failed <<<< Checking for softnofiles=4096; found softnofiles=1024. Failed <<<<

Indeed, on the first system I get these values with a non-root user:

$ ulimit -Sa | grep files

open files                    (-n) 65536

$ ulimit -Ha | grep files
open files (-n) 65536

While on the second system I get these values:

$ ulimit -Sa | grep files

open files                    (-n) 1024

$ ulimit -Ha | grep files
open files (-n) 1024

Unfortunately I'm not able to remember which changes I made to the first system in order to set these values for all users. Any suggestions?

Thank you. Kind regards, Cristian. Received on Mon Jan 07 2008 - 09:09:16 CST

Original text of this message