Re: Operations in Oracle with the use of LOB types--books ???

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:04:33 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 6, 2:36 pm, Andre <andrzejbi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I'm the novice user Oracle. I look for books connected with Operations
> in Oracle with the use of  LOB types  I found only so far "Oracle
> Database Application Developer's Guide - Large Objects" (http://
> download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B13789_01/appdev.101/b10796.pdf) in
> Oracle docummentation. I ask for the help in this subject. I will be
> grateful.
>
> Andre

Well bottom line LOB types in oracle support big data whether the data in the column is character based, binary based, or some homegrown combination. Can you store xml data in LOB's? Well yeah but now oracle has some different choices.

The oracle documentation is pretty comprehensive. I recommend starting with the concepts manual and reading the doc several times at least.

There is an inherent conflict between how complicated LOB types are and a "novice" level of understanding.

Maybe you can explain to us what you need to be able to do with LOB's and what release level of oracle you are working with.

Otherwise I recommend buying and reading Tom Kyte's books and doing some research on LOB's. There is a bunch of info besides the free oracle documentation ( http://tahiti.oracle.com ) at Tom's website ( http://asktom.oracle.com ) plus the searchable cdos archives ( google groups interface ) and of course google or other search engines. Received on Sun Jan 06 2008 - 18:04:33 CST

Original text of this message