Re: Poll: How fast is YOUR database in rows per second, on a full bore table scan???

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:26:09 -0800

dba_222_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> The question is, these days, just how many rows
> per second can Oracle retrieve in the worst case
> scenario?

No it isn't. Never has been and never will be. But if that's your question here's my answer:

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE dba_222 (sleepval IN PLS_INTEGER) IS BEGIN
   FOR rec IN (select obj# from source$) LOOP      dbms_lock.sleep(sleepval);
   END LOOP;
END dba_222;
/

set timing on
exec dba_222(86400);
set timing off

My calculation is one row per day. So this should complete in 1627 years give or take a few months.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor