Re: RMAN Backup timing question

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 19:57:51 +0100

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 09:03:08 -0800 (PST), zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>On Jan 3, 11:43 am, vitalis..._at_gmail.com wrote:

>> > I think in Oracle10g with compression option, backup times shold
>> > reduce, oher versions timing will be same.
>>
>> > Prem
>>
>> I don't know the specifics about each version by heart, but it goes
>> something like this:
>>
>> 9i -> RMAN skips blocks that have NEVER been formatted
>> 10g -> it skips all unused blocks (even if they have been formatted
>> and were used earlier)
>> 8i -> I don't care ;)- Hide quoted text -

>Thanks. Question is what is meant by unused in 10G. I think after
>deletion, block still has some header information, so it is used?

This is not the question. The question is why you don't just look it up in the documentation. You would have had your answer hours ago. Now you just show you didn't make a New Years Resolution to become a little more inquisitive and industrious and you still prefer to trash this forum with RTFM questions.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA