Re: RMAN Backup timing question

From: <vitalisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 08:43:48 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 3, 4:36 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> On Jan 2, 11:44 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
>

> > zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:

> > > Thanks. This was a general question. I have versions from 8.1.6 to
> > > 10.2 running on Widnows and HP UNIX.
>
> > It will be different in the different versions. Read the docs:http://tahiti.oracle.com
>
> > But be aware that 8.1.6 is so old the docs are no longer online. Look
> > at the 8.1.7 docs and hopefully they are similar.
> > --
> > Daniel A. Morgan
> > Oracle Ace Director & Instructor
> > University of Washington
> > damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
> > Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org-Hide quoted text -

> I think in Oracle10g with compression option, backup times shold
> reduce, oher versions timing will be same.
>
> Prem

I don't know the specifics about each version by heart, but it goes something like this:

9i -> RMAN skips blocks that have NEVER been formatted 10g -> it skips all unused blocks (even if they have been formatted and were used earlier)
8i -> I don't care ;) Received on Thu Jan 03 2008 - 10:43:48 CST

Original text of this message