Oracle 10g - db_recovery_file_dest and db_recovery_file_dest_size

From: <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 22:40:37 -0800 (PST)

Hello all,

I am trying to set up Oracle for Dataguard in 10g for a Physical standby and its working correctly. Now I have the following doubt :

When we create a database using dbca, the Flash database window allows you to enter the place where you want this to happen and there is a default size of 2048 MB . Now when I see the spfile, I see that the following 2 parameters are set db_recovery_file_dest and db_recovery_file_dest_size which is again fine. Now, when I try to set up Archive log for these, by default it does : log_archive_dest_1='LOCATION=USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST VALID_FOR=(ALL_LOGFILES,A
LL_ROLES) and now I am very apprehensive about this space (2048MB) being completely used up so quickly that no more archivals will take place. I was also reading about this online and it says that :

The size of the flash recovery area at any one time is a function of:
* Copies of all datafiles

  • Incremental backups
  • Online redo logs
  • Archived redo logs
  • Flashback logs
  • Current Controlfile
  • Controlfile autobackups and SPFILEs

What do you think I should be doing ? Should I use separate locations for archived redo logs, online redo logs and backups using RMAN or do you think I should just try to increase the size from 2048MB to around 30 GB ?

Madhu M Received on Thu Jan 03 2008 - 00:40:37 CST

Original text of this message