Manage many to many relationship between "N" number of tables

From: <steven.p24_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 15:50:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

I need help on database design which can manage many to many relationship between "N" number of tables. for last 2 days i'm thinking over this but not able to find a solution it will be great if someone can help me.

Problem:

Say i have 3 tables A, B & C in my db. They can have Many to Many relation ship with each other i.e. A <-> B, A<->C, B <->C. other than 3 junction tables how can i establish this relationship in my db? i'm asking this because here i have taken 3 tables as example only..if tomorrow a new table D is added to this DB (which also requires many to many relation with other tables) i want to handle such scenario without creating few more junction tables( A <-> D, B <-> D, C <-> D) in my DB. i want some generic DB design which can manage many to many relationship between any number of tables.

is such design really possible or i'm being crazy?

Cheers ! Received on Wed Jan 02 2008 - 17:50:08 CST

Original text of this message