Re: Upgrading Oracle ODBC 10.1.0.2.0

From: valigula <valigula_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 04:18:14 -0800 (PST)

On 31 dic 2007, 16:29, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> Comments embedded.
> On Dec 31, 8:41 am, valigula <valig..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Upgrading a database from Oracle 9i to 10g.
> > I have encountered a problem with the ODBC 10.1.0.2.0 driver, it
> > transforms the 21 numeric digits from a PK column to a scientific
> > format.
>
> Which should be nothing more than a display issue. Try setting
> numwidth to a value greater than the largest exponent displayed:
>
> SQL> select empno, ename, bizarre_num
> 2 from emp;
>
> EMPNO ENAME BIZARRE_NUM
> ---------- ---------- -----------
> 7369 SMITH 4.3442E+10
> 7499 ALLEN 8.9976E+10
> 7521 WARD 7.0707E+10
> 7566 JONES 1.7030E+11
> 7654 MARTIN 7.3230E+10
> 7698 BLAKE 1.6889E+11
> 7782 CLARK 1.4837E+11
> 7788 SCOTT 1.8196E+11
> 7839 KING 3.0725E+11
> 7844 TURNER 9.2293E+10
> 7876 ADAMS 6.8235E+10
>
> EMPNO ENAME BIZARRE_NUM
> ---------- ---------- -----------
> 7900 JAMES 5.9290E+10
> 7902 FORD 1.8732E+11
> 7934 MILLER 8.1833E+10
>
> 14 rows selected.
>
> The largest exponent displayed is 11, so set the numwidth to 12:
>
> SQL> set numwidth 12
>
> Run the query again:
>
> SQL> /
>
> EMPNO ENAME BIZARRE_NUM
> ------------ ---------- ------------
> 7369 SMITH 43441728800
> 7499 ALLEN 89976001600
> 7521 WARD 70706801250
> 7566 JONES 170301959100
> 7654 MARTIN 73229645000
> 7698 BLAKE 168888731400
> 7782 CLARK 148370833800
> 7788 SCOTT 181958832000
> 7839 KING 307249605000
> 7844 TURNER 92292504000
> 7876 ADAMS 68234513600
>
> EMPNO ENAME BIZARRE_NUM
> ------------ ---------- ------------
> 7900 JAMES 59289500000
> 7902 FORD 187324812000
> 7934 MILLER 81832862800
>
> 14 rows selected.
>
> SQL>
>
> Exponential notation is gone, and the numeric values haven't changed
> as the display format doesn't change what is stored in the table.
>
> > Has anyone found this problem?, is any other work around but changing
> > the numer to varchar ?
>
> > Thanks in advance
>
> David Fitzjarrell

Thanks for your reply

But still having the same problem using this driver and executing the sentence via ODBC i do not have the prolem while using SqlPlus. the driver documentation says " ..... Added support for new BINARY_FLOAT and BINARY_DOUBLE datatypes in 10g and later servers. ...." Received on Wed Jan 02 2008 - 06:18:14 CST

Original text of this message