Re: Catalogue of SQL and PL/SQL bad practices: Call for participation

From: ErikYkema <erik.ykema_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 00:47:45 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 20, 9:13 am, Gojko Adzic <goj..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I started compiling a list of Oracle SQL and PL/SQL bad practices,
> with the intention of producing a comprehensive catalogue of common
> and recurring programming mistakes, that can be used as a check-list
> for code reviews or given to junior developers. I have identified
> about 30 bad practices so far. For each bad practice, I provided a
> list of symptoms in the code, an explanation why it causes problems
> and a list of preferred solutions.
>
> My goal with this list is primarily to start a discussion about
> similar recurring issues that other people have noticed. That
> discussion should lead to a more complete list which the community
> will then be able to use, hopefully, to learn something from the
> mistakes of others and to produce better code.
>
> I would really appreciate your feedback - if you are interested in
> discussing these practices we can either do it in this usenet group,
> or start a separate mailing list.
>
> You can download the first version of the catalogue in PDF form fromhttp://gojko.net/effective-oracle
>
> --
> gojko adzichttp://gojko.net

Some links for you (some entries are quite a laugh): - http://thedailywtf.com/Default.aspx (search for pl/sql) - http://www.oracleplsqlprogramming.com/YouShouldNeverDo.html. Steven has several presentations about this, also covering soft-skills, applicable to any language.
- http://oraclequirks.blogspot.com/
And one bad practice also is not reading the manuals and books, especially those by Oracle Corp, S.Feuerstein, T.Kyte and J.Lewis. To name a few.
Regards,
Erik Ykema Received on Sat Dec 22 2007 - 02:47:45 CST