Re: re creating a primary key on a table makes requests faster?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 22:43:42 -0800

allen.darrin_at_gmail.com wrote:

> I think when you drop and then add the primary key it causes the data
> in the table to reorginize which is similar to a performance tuning
> change.

Absolutely not. Never. Ever. Period. Exclamation Point. Bold Faced.

> Meaning if you had fragmented data you organize it.

No index build is capable of affecting table data in any manner in Oracle.

In Oracle if you want ordered data you either build an Index Organized Table (IOT) or, in a sense you build a sorted hash cluster. But even with the sorted hash cluster it is the hashes that are sorted ... not the data.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor