Re: Unable to manually create RAC database

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 04:59:01 -0800

trub3101 wrote:
> Hi Guru's,
>
> I am hoping that someone (anyone!) will be able to provide me with
> some assistance with this as my RAC experience is very limited.
> I have been trying to manually create a new RAC database <new_RAC_db>
> but I keep getting this error message:
>
> create database "<new_RAC_db>"
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced
>
> The servers (hosted) came online yesterday with <test_RAC_db> running
> (no db build script provided!)however, because of the db_block_size
> (too small) this
> is of no use to our business needs

What is the operating system?
What block size did it come with?
What block size do you need and why?

> create database "<new_RAC_db>"
> maxinstances 10
> maxlogfiles 20
> maxdatafiles 100
> maxlogmembers 5
> character set "UTF8"
> datafile '/opt/app/oracle/oradata/<new_RAC_db>/system/
> system01.dbf' size 250M
> <balance snipped>

I have never seen anyone successfully build a RAC cluster using this method. I am sure someone has but why put yourself through so much pain with no gain.

Use DBCA.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
Oracle Ace Director & Instructor