Re: (Java) Synchronizing multiple app servers through Oracle

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:33:40 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 12, 8:10 pm, chrism..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> What is the recommended way for using an Oracle database to
> synchronize multiple app servers? When I speak of synchronizing, I'm
> referring to the Java use of the word, where you can lock a section of
> code so other threads don't access that section at the same time.
>
> I have multiple app servers that each need exclusive access to the
> database for a certain operation. Does Oracle have a semaphore
> utility that is available to apps? I know I could hack it by doing a
> select for update on a dummy table with 1 row, but I was hoping Oracle
> had something more elegant to use.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

Oracle locks rows by default (it doesn't matter if it's java, C#, VB, C, SQL*Plus, etc.), but I don't know what you mean "exclusive access to the database for a certain operation". If you have a need for more sophisticated application locking, look into the procedures in the dbms_lock package at tahiti.oracle.com

HTH, Steve Received on Wed Dec 12 2007 - 19:33:40 CST