Re: dropping tablespaces and datafiles

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:53:58 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 10, 11:13 pm, Ben <benal..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 8:33 pm, Mark D Powell <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com> wrote:

> > > my end result is to get the objects into a LMT. The tables in this
> > > particular schema have several long raw columns and I can't actually
> > > move them. So I'm exporting, dropping and recreating the tablespace(s)
> > > as LMTs, importing. Is there any way to get rid of tablespaces and
> > > objects without incurring the overhead on uet$ & fet$?- Hide quoted text -

> > I suggest some variation of
>
> > 1 - If you have the file space create the new locally managed
> > tablespace first
> > 2 - Then move those tables and rebuild the associated indexes for the
> > tables without long columns.
> > 3 -Export the tables with long columns
> > 4 - Drop the objects one at a time
> > 5 - Drop the tablespaces
> > 6 - Re-create any additional or remaining table
> > 7 - import the tables with long columns
>
> > HTH -- Mark D Powell --- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the info and suggestions. I wasn't necessarily limited by
> space but I was limited in that the new tablespace had to be called
> the same as the old. Which until this morning I was unaware that as of
> 10g you could rename a tablespace. This brings up another question
> though.
>
> Our ERP system requires all of our tables be in the same tablespace.
> We have 1500 or so tables in our production schema with over half of
> those being empty tables. How should I plan the new LMT for little
> waste of space. I would prefer to use uniform extent sizes but don't
> want to allocate large chunks of empty space for those empty tables.
> With LMT's is there any negative impact for having a large number of
> smaller extents on large tables as there is with DMT's? I was thinking
> of creating the new tablespaces with 164K uniform size extents, that
> would result in some objects having up to and beyond 200,000 extents.
> Sounds ridiculous to have that many.

In this special case, I think the benefit of using auto allocation outweighs that of uniform size.

What ERP system is it? If it's Oracle E-Business Suite, I remember there's a place where it stores the name of the tablespaces you use. So your first requirement that the tablespace name must keep the same can be worked around.

Yong Huang Received on Mon Dec 10 2007 - 21:53:58 CST