Re: programmatically updating table statistics

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:57:35 -0800

Wisser wrote:

> No, I don't use bind variables. What is "dynamic sampling".
> Is it possible to tell the DB that a table has "voilatile cardinalty",
> as one can do with db2?

In Oracle you can not do what you do in DB2 but then it really isn't necessary as the optimizer is quite different.

Dynamic Sampling ... the optimizer dynamically sampling rows to make a good guess as to the data ... is automatically enabled with default configurations of 10g and 11g.

Look it up here:
http://tahiti.oracle.com
for more information.

--