Re: Convert CSV data held in a CLOB into columns

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:16:49 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 8, 1:30 pm, jeremy <jeremy0..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <1197136923.818..._at_bubbleator.drizzle.com>, DA Morgan says...
>
> > > Can a CLOB be referred to as an external table? If so then we can keep
> > > the entire process IN the database and cut out steps like establishing
> > > directory objects, placing CSV file in corresponding o/s directory etc.
>
> > In theory an external table should be able to handle anything that
> > SQL*Loader can handle. They are essentially the same technology.
>
> Was this in response to my question? I can see how useful external
> tables can be but am looking to see if there is a way that the contents
> of a CLOB might be treated the same - is there a way to tell Oracle
> "look at the content of this CLOB and treat it like it is an external
> table containing CSV content".
>
> Alternatively, might we take the CLOB content, write it out via UTL_FILE
> then refer to it as an external table?
>
> As I said, I would certainly like to be able to do all the work without
> any depdency on referencing files on the o/s.
>

> >http://tahiti.oracle.com
>
> Thanks, I know that reference.
>
> --
> jeremy

I'm puzzled. You say you would "like to be able to do all the work without any depdency on referencing files on the o/s", yet just before that statement you asked if you could "take the CLOB content, write it out via UTL_FILE then refer to it as an external table". Writing it via UTL_FILE and referring to it as an external table *is* referencing files on the o/s. And of course, you started with a file on the o/s - the file that you propose loading into a CLOB. Why not just reference *that* file as an external table? Received on Mon Dec 10 2007 - 10:16:49 CST