Re: CREATE/DROP/ALTER hangs...

From: <tocallaghan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 11:38:19 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 7, 1:49 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 11:18 am, "tocallag..._at_gmail.com" <tocallag..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 7, 12:02 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:

> > > 8.1.7 doesn't say much except that you're woefully behind the most
> > > current of releases; 8.1.7 hasn't been supported in this century.
>
> > *laugh - 100% aware of this fact. I'm sorry to report that upgrading
> > isn't an option.
> > I've just been charged with the crusade to 'fix it'. I'm also sorry to
> > report that I'm
> > clearly not an Oracle DBA, but enough of my short comings ;)
>
> > > That being said which release (all four numbers) are you using, on
> > > which operating system?
>
> > Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.0.1 - Production
> > PL/SQL Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
> > CORE 8.1.7.0.0 Production
> > TNS for Linux: Version 8.1.7.0.0 - Development
> > NLSRTL Version 3.4.1.0.0 - Production- Hide quoted text -

> You should, if at all possible, patch this antiquated beast to
> 8.1.7.4; you're running an unpatched release of Oracle and it's likely
> this is known problem and corrected in the aforementioned patch set.
>
> Also, all we know is it's on Linux; different distributions and
> releases behave, well, differently. Which distribution, what release
> of Linux? Such information could answer a number of questions.

Hopefully this helps:

Red Hat Linux Advanced Server release 2.1AS (Pensacola) 2.4.9-e.24smp #1 SMP
i686 unknown

I assure you I'm not trying to be withholding to screw with you. I'm very honestly at my wits end with this business. However I do appreciate your help, so thank you.

D Received on Fri Dec 07 2007 - 13:38:19 CST