moving an Oracle database

From: <HoughtonPJ_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:07:18 -0800 (PST)

Hi

i hope someone can help. I've been given the task of moving an oracle database. The database is sitting on a w2k3 cluster attached to a EVA storage system. At present the servers are located at a remote site, and need to be relocated back to our central site, which means moving the data to new EVA's.

the actual nodes of the clusters will be physically moved so nothing will change here. i'm going to be using microsofts cluster recovery tool to replace the cluster disk resources which is no problem. my only problem is the oracle part. I'm not an oracle DBA and am not training to be one, unfortunatly we don't have one in our dept as we mainly use SQL. from what i can gather all i need to do to move the database is shutdown the oracle service and copy the DB files to the EVA presented drives. these drives will be renamed to match the old drive names. once this is done i believe i can bring the database up and all will be well. is this correct??

thanks in advance for any help! i have tried reading throuh the admin guide but as i know nothing about Oracle it doesn't make a lot of sense and i haven't really got time to start at the beginning!! Received on Tue Dec 04 2007 - 12:07:18 CST

Original text of this message