Re: DR and data replication on Oracle 9i Standard

From: cqmman <cqmman_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:43:50 -0800 (PST)

On 1 Dec, 15:36, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:

> It note that this is 9i but which editions? Standard or Enterprise?
>
> Normally I would suggest EE and Data Guard if you are trying to create
> a real DR (Disaster Recovery) site. Alternatively Streams would work
> too.
>
> I have seen DR sites built using snap-mirror / snap-restore
> capabilities. And while they do work they are not as complete a solution
> for an Oracle customer as is Data Guard.

Standard edition.

Yes, someone else has recommended DataGuard, but we don't have EE.

I know there must a white paper on this somewhere, but can someone in a couple of sentences explain why DG is so much better than logshipping? Especially for someone with very little Oracle knowledge... Just not sure if it is worth upgrading our Oracle servers to Enterprise Edition..

Cheers Received on Sun Dec 02 2007 - 15:43:50 CST