Re: nocache tables enumerations

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_nospam.bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:35:04 GMT

"Peter Teoh" <htmldeveloper_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:3139b989-6910-43ef-80cb-6655da1bf85a_at_e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> According to:
>
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_7002.htm#i2095331
>
> it is possible to declare tables that have nocache attribute, and thus
> it will not be cached into the buffer cache. Right?

Hi Peter

Wrong.

The nocache attribute is only applicable to tables accessed via a full table scan and ensures that associated blocks are read into the "least" recently end of the buffer cache LRU list. This is the default as typically we wouldn't want large full table scans "flooding" the buffer cache.

However, if the table is accessed via an index, then the nocache attribute is ignored. It's also ignored if the table is assigned to the KEEP pool.

Cheers

Richard Received on Sun Dec 02 2007 - 06:35:04 CST