Re: Non-caching of SQL queries

From: Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:23:33 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 1, 1:42 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> And how would caching them do anything other than waste memory?

Thanks for the reply.

Erh....not sure why u ask that question. If my batch script is running into millions of SQL, wouldn't it be faster if more cache is available for transaction, as the caching of this SQL is competing for the actual processing of the SQL. As far as I am aware of, the SQLAREA's cache is to facilitate minimize parsing of the SQL. But if the SQL is executed only once, and almost every subsequent SQL need to be reparsed again, then I supposed it is not necessary to hog the memory with these SQL. The only way I can flush the SQL from SQLAREA currently, is to issue DDL statements against the underlying structures (be it a view, or table etc) and immediately all the previous SQL in SQLAREA is intelligently removed. This is because the next SQL will need to be parsed again anyway.

Thank you. Received on Fri Nov 30 2007 - 19:23:33 CST