Re: Oracle Linux/Virtualization Software

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:01:18 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 30, 9:34 am, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 30.11.2007 18:04, shakespeare wrote:
>

> > <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> schreef in bericht

The thing is, the attitude comes from seeing the scepticism be validated over and over, followed by the cynicism being validated over and over. At least, that's why for me, and I suspect for Noons too. It's kinda too bad, my tendency was to be excited and enthusiastic over every new thing, until enough Oracle experience finally beat it out of me.

> >> Things become a bit clearer when looking at the FAQ:
>
> >> "How is Oracle VM three times more efficient than existing x86 server
> >> virtualization products?
> >> Oracle ran many performance benchmarks comparing Oracle products
> >> running with Oracle VM against the existing leading server
> >> virtualization product and also with Oracle products on non-
> >> virtualized operating systems on x86 and x86-64. Oracle consistently
> >> saw much better resource
> >> utilization with an average of three times less overhead using Oracle
> >> VM, and also saw significant
> >> scalability with virtual SMP. In many cases, the comparison with real
> >> hardware was approximately
> >> equal in performance."
>
> >>http://www.oracle.com/technologies/virtualization/docs/ovm-faq.pdf
>
> >> I interpret "three times more efficient" as meaning "the overhead of
> >> other VM products vs. real hardware was cut down to a quarter". So in
> >> cases of low overhead, the net gain is small and the claim sounds far
> >> less dramatic.
>
> >> The crucial questions here are of course: what is X? What hardware
> >> was it tested on? What applications were benchmarked?
>
> >> Kind regards
>
> >> robert
>
> > So to make a calculation (just as an example, no exact figures...)
>
> > If VMware has an overhead of 15 % (leaving 85% efficiency) Oracle claims
> > about 4% overhead (96% efficiency), giving an net efficiency gain of about
> > 11%.... which is different from 'three times as fast'.....
>
> Which they have not claimed as far as I can see. Although of course
> this is what they intended the reader to believe. Watch out for
> marketing speak! :-)

See http://www.oracle.com/openworld/2007/feature-ellison-keynote.html , quoting Larry Ellison's keynote:

"This is the third time we've announced Oracle VM during OpenWorld," said Ellison, with an appreciative laugh. "You can download it for free and buy support if you want to, major partners endorse it, and all Oracle products are certified on Oracle VM; if there's a problem, you've got one phone number to call. Oracle VM is faster--in fact three times faster--than the competition, it's cheaper, and [it's] more scalable server virtualization."

I'd say Larry Ellison falls within the purview of "they." He certainly can't claim to be non-technical.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"In a recent Republican presidential debate, some of the candidates